Module 8: Labor and Birth
Labor & Birth
Module 8: Labor & Birth
Normal, physiologic birth requires certain conditions for optimal outcomes. This module examines birth from a pre and perinatal psychology perspective, starting with conditions of safety and privacy. It provides descriptions of birthing conditions and their outcomes in the US and other countries.
- Identify conditions for optimal birth experiences in birthing practices and inside the mother and prenate.
- Understand birth models that facilitate easier birthing experiences and be able to cite real life examples.
- Name the many hormones (especially oxytocin) and other internal chemicals involved in the birthing process and their importance to birth outcomes.
- Understand the impact of birth interventions and the positive constellation of experiences to promote optimal birth outcomes.
- Introduced to birth trauma and why incidences can be high.
- Understand how different pre- and perinatal psychology theories work, especially recapitulation.
- Name medical, institutional and social attitudes and practices towards pregnant mothers and their unborn and newborn babies.
- Understand obstetrical interventions and physiologic birth in the context of the maternity system, and how to help people navigate for a better birth experience.
StartUndisturbed birth: Nature's blueprint for ease and ecstasy
StartThe influence of birth trauma on the physical and emotional well-being of the baby by Matthew Appleton
StartBirth trauma: The psychology and effects of obstetrical interventions
StartThe Evidence on Doulas and Continuous Care in Labor
StartMichel Odent, MD - Primal Health (70 min. video)
StartThe evolution of mind-body practice in obstetrics* by Robert Bruce Newman
StartNew Science, New Practices: Slowing Down at Birth for Vulnerable Newborns by Mary Esther Malloy
StartJeannine Parvati Baker – How Do You Want To Be Born? (40 min. video)
StartIna May Gaskin, MA, CPM, PhD(Hon.) - Spiritual Midwifery – 40 min
StartSuzanne Arms – What Gives Me Hope – 25 min.
StartModule 8 Comprehension Quiz
StartModule 8 Essay
StartBonus: Home Water Birth of Anuk