Module 8: Labor and Birth
PPN Perspectives on Labor & Birth
Module 8: PPN Perspectives on Labor & Birth
Normal, physiologic birth requires certain conditions for optimal outcomes. This module examines birth from a pre and perinatal psychology perspective, starting with conditions of safety and privacy. It provides descriptions of birthing conditions and their outcomes in the US and other countries.
- Identify conditions for optimal birth experiences in birthing practices and inside the mother and prenate.
- Understand birth models that facilitate easier birthing experiences and be able to cite real life examples.
- Name the many hormones (especially oxytocin) and other internal chemicals involved in the birthing process and their importance to birth outcomes.
- Understand the impact of birth interventions and the positive constellation of experiences to promote optimal birth outcomes.
- Introduced to birth trauma and why incidences can be high.
- Understand how different pre- and perinatal psychology theories work, especially recapitulation.
- Name medical, institutional and social attitudes and practices towards pregnant mothers and their unborn and newborn babies.
- Understand obstetrical interventions and physiologic birth in the context of the maternity system, and how to help people navigate for a better birth experience.
16 Continuing Education credits are available for this module for an additional $64 Click HERE for more information.
If purchasing this as an individual module-- You will have access to this course only through December 31, 2021~
after that date, we will have moved to our new Learning Center and some
courses will no longer be available. Please be sure to complete your
coursework before then.
StartUndisturbed birth: Nature's blueprint for ease and ecstasy
StartThe influence of birth trauma on the physical and emotional well-being of the baby by Matthew Appleton
StartBirth trauma: The psychology and effects of obstetrical interventions
StartThe Evidence on Doulas and Continuous Care in Labor
StartMichel Odent, MD - Primal Health (70 min. video)
StartThe evolution of mind-body practice in obstetrics* by Robert Bruce Newman
StartNew Science, New Practices: Slowing Down at Birth for Vulnerable Newborns by Mary Esther Malloy
StartJeannine Parvati Baker – How Do You Want To Be Born? (40 min. video)
StartIna May Gaskin, MA, CPM, PhD(Hon.) - Spiritual Midwifery – 40 min
StartSuzanne Arms – What Gives Me Hope – 25 min.
StartModule 8 Comprehension Quiz
StartModule 8 Essay
StartBonus: Home Water Birth of Anuk